Warnings for Visitors to the Graining Fork Nature Preserve (GFNP)
“Under Kentucky law, there is NO LIABILITY for an injury to or death of a participant in an agritourism activity conducted at this agritourism location if the injury or death results exclusively from the inherent risks of the agritourism activity and in the absence of
negligence. You are assuming the risk of participating in this agritourism activity.”
It is important that you carefully read and understand the list of warnings of the hazards and potential dangers, both identified and unknown that may exist in the Graining Fork Nature Preserve. Your presence in the preserve signifies that you have read, fully understand the hazards, and accept all risks and these warnings.
If you are not willing or able to accept full responsibility for your presence and personal safety in the Graining Fork Nature Preserve, then do not enter the property.
- WARNING: The preserve is a natural habitat with many known and unknown hazards. It impossible to be aware of every hazard and dangerous condition that may exist. It is, therefore, necessary that you acknowledge a general warning that hidden and unknown dangers may exist in the GFNP that cannot always be specifically identified and warned or guarded against.
- WARNING: All outdoor activities and in particular climbing can be dangerous, participation in which can cause permanent paralysis or other serious injury and death to you or to those around you. You should never climb without extensive training by experienced climbers. You should never climb without proper high-quality rock climbing gear. And, you should never climb if you are not willing to accept full responsibility for the consequences of your participation in this dangerous sport. Furthermore, by entering the Preserve to rock climb you are acknowledging that one of the primary reasons you rock climb is because of the inherent dangers of the sport.
- WARNING: The rock in the Graining Fork Nature Preserve is primarily sandstone, a very soft, friable sedimentary rock that is laced with pockets, fissures and soft sections. Even the best of hardware permanently affixed to or temporarily placed into this rock can fail unexpectedly and catastrophically due to the poor structural integrity of this rock, possibly causing your injury or death.
- WARNING: The rock in the GFNP contains sections that are either loose or that can be easily loosened. These sections can spontaneously fall off a cliff, or they may be inadvertently or purposely pulled off by a climber. In any case, rock fall poses a threat to visitors to Graining Fork Nature Preserve and therefore poses a danger to the climber and/or persons below the climber. All persons participating in rock climbing and/or those present in the vicinity of rock cliffs are strongly advised to wear protective headgear designed specifically for a rock climbing environment.
- WARNING: Never climb inside caves and overhangs in the preserve. The ceilings are often flaky and prone to breaking down and falling.
- WARNING: Hanger brackets have been bolted to, or glued into, the walls of many of the climbing routes in the GFNP. Additionally, other hardware, such as slings, quickdraws, chains, rings, cable leaders, and permadraws may be attached to hanger brackets. As is traditional with rock climbing route development, this hardware was installed by many different persons. The specific hardware and installation methods are neither approved by nor monitored by us. Nor, is this hardware routinely inspected. NO warranties of safeness of this hardware have been given by the persons who installed it or by Graining Fork Nature Preserve. Hanger brackets have been known to pull loose from the rock. And, rock in which hanger brackets have been affixed has been known to fail. If you climb in the preserve and rely on any piece of hardware affixed to any rock surface for your personal safety and/or the safety of others with you, you do so at your own risk and with the full knowledge that this hardware may fail catastrophically and without warning.
- WARNING: There are numerous fall hazards within the preserve, footing is rough and uneven and in some areas you can fall over 100 feet and be severely injured or killed.Be very careful hiking along all trails and maintain control of children at all times.
- WARNING: As a nature preserve, GFNP has known wildlife, including, but not limited to: stinging insects, such as wasps and hornets; venomous snakes, such as copperheads and rattlesnakes; and poisonous and stinging plants, such as poison ivy and nettle weed.